Saturday, April 27, 2013

Readathon Play-by-Play: In which I tell you about things that happened hours ago


For those of you who don't know, today is Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon, hosted by these fine people. I am participating in my own way . . . which is to say, not very well. And here is what has happened so far. (I'll give you a hint: noooot a whole lot of reading.)

Haaaa . . . I'm not reading all these.

5:30 a.m.

Why is it so early? It’s obscene how early it is. I’ve actually been awake since 5:12, but I spent about 20 minutes taking pictures of the dogs . . . because of reasons. Also, Paco and Gizmo are lying solidly across my legs, so getting up for coffee isn’t so much an option quite yet. So yeah . . . let’s read some Handmaid’s Tale! *suppresses urge to laugh hysterically*

"Explain yourself, human."

5:50 a.m.

Yeeeeah . . . I’m gonna need some coffee. Shove off, mutts.

Pages read: 17 in A Handmaid's Tale

Things consumed: Not one damn thing

7:12 a.m.

I have acquired coffee. I have consumed foodstuffs. I have read a chapter in The Half-Blood Prince. And now I’m back in bed wanting very much to return to my slumber. Must be time to read a comic or something.

Princess Aurora and Dumbledore. I would ship that.

Pages read: 24 in The Half-Blood Prince

Things consumed: 1 fried egg, 2 fake sausage patties, 1 coffee with Cool Whip (= fancy)

9:30 a.m.

Like any good thon-er, I'm bailing 4 hours in for a Filipino-style feast to celebrate a child's 1st birthday. There will likely be an entire roasted pig. Be back soon!


5 p.m.

Erm . . . 6 hours later. But I read the entirety of Chew Vol. 1 in the car on the way there AND took a power nap. So my body is ready, as our dear friend of the greasy hair might say. Chew, by the way? Amazing. It has the MOST delightful illustrations.

DE-LIGHTFUL.
Pages read: 128 

Things consumed: fried rice, chow mein, Thai salad w/ peanut dressing, various Filipino desserts, blue cotton candy

And now I journey homeward, where I have plentiful snacks and comfy seating options but, alas, no Internet. Just pretend I'm reading ALL the books and being awesome and not just swiping lazily at my phone screen. 

5 comments:

  1. Oo, blue cotton candy!


    Happy 'thonning, dude. I'm glad Chew was good! I have not heard of it. I must look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, it is dinner time. Hope you are having fun! I am really trying to focus this read-a-thon, but I'm doing a fairly mediocre job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! No Internet? Hope you continue to read anyway. The spirit of Read-a-thoners transcends electronic transmissions! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got food!! And you have dogs. So really you're all set. Books can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw your dogs are just the cutest! Happy reading today. :)

    ReplyDelete